Monday, February 22, 2010

Worse Day of the Year Ride

I was really looking forward to the Worst Day of the Year Ride yesterday. It was very nice out and I am trying to be a little more social. More people showed up for this ride than I expected.

I wasn't feeling great. I was achy all over but I worked out very hard the day before so this made sense. I think I have my riding clothes down to an art but I had the shakes. It was suppose to be just a social ride but I was really working hard to stay in the group I latched onto. Bill was the only person I knew in my group, but looking around I didn't think I should be trying this hard to keep up. It felt like I had the flu but that was impossible because I don't get sick. I haven't gotten sick since I lived at my parents home some 25 years ago. Sure, the kids had the flu this weekend, and I didn't bother to get a flu shot this year, but I couldn't catch it; I am immune to such things. About 15 miles into the ride I realized I really did have the flu. There was no way I was going to make it back. I was only a mile from my parents' house so I gave it everything to catch Bill, gave him the keys to my truck so he and Dan could get back, and told him I was going to get my dad's car and drive myself home.

I made it home, barely, and curled up and waited to die. So this is what it's like to be sick. Kind of sucks. The kids are just getting over the flu so they were content to just stay on the couch which worked out well for me because I was in no condition to interact with them. I was waiting for Bill to stop by with my truck so I could drive him to his house. I didn't know how I was going to do it, I could hardly move. I woke up around 8 PM and called Bill to see where he was at. He told me he dropped the truck off at my house and rode his bike home since he figured I was in no condition to drive. He was right and has no idea how much I appreciate that.

I called in sick for the first time in my life. I am watching Canada take on the USA in Curling. I have hit rock bottom.

3 comments:

  1. Unreal... I am sick ... like clockwork... 2x per year. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you too...but did you breath all over my blog and get me sick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm NOT sick at the moment... just meant I get sick 2x per year. I was sick 2 weeks ago and was home all day breathing all over your blog. yep.

    ReplyDelete