Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Few More Gears



Sunday morning I planned on taking the kids to church. I woke up early to feed the dogs but instead of going back to bed, I decided to get my Inglis back up and running by converting the rear wheel from my Felt to a single speed. As I started to pull the wheel off my bike I had a change of heart; I put the Felt back together, washed off the mud from the Yankee Springs race in April, and let the kids sleep in so I could ride. Since God is omnipresent I figured what the hell.

This is the part of the story where a physiologist could have a field day: I was overcome with guilt for neglecting my Felt this summer, as if it rolled it eyes and sighed: "sure, screw up your single speed and come crawling back to me." I half expected it to launch me into a tree to make this point. It didn't. It worked fine. It was a good ride, but now my Inglis is upset with me.

4 comments:

  1. Those bikes do get jealous...
    Is your work stress going down at all? I assume that is the culprit for the lack of saddle time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to blame work for my lackluster season verses my own lack of motivation. Actually stress does have a lot to do with it. Lets see, I am working for a bankrupt company, that is about to lay off 2000 salaried employees, and my job is getting pre-production cars ready for the harsh magazines so if you read anything bad in Car & Driver or MotorTrend or Autoweek, it will be my ass, and oh yeah, I am currently working on a prototype Volt that will kill you if you touch the wrong wire. Oh crap I am bitter...and I just finished a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear it. I love the electric car concept. Lets burn coal or oil for electricity instead of gas and call it progress. I guess we could also build giant dams or nuke plants too...ahhh progress.

    I have been getting saddle time, but the job and life stress has kept me from racing. The thought of getting all amp'd up and prepared for a race makes my stomach turn. Stress is a strange thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got dropped on a group ride last night. Ouch. I even used my geared bike. It was the kick in the butt I needed to start a more disciplined approach to riding again. 3 months to the Iceman. And seriously, I'm not bitter.

    ReplyDelete