Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Forward

I have been spending a lot of time in natural light lately. Most of the country will get an extra hour starting on Sunday. I think Daylight Savings started during World War I in an effort to save coal. Energy savings is usually the justification given for continuing this odd plan.

There is an Indian saying about how only the U.S. Government believes you can cut a foot off a blanket, sew it to the other end, and have a longer blanket. It seems to me that the energy we save by keeping the lights off an extra hour in the evening is lost by turning them on an hour earlier in the morning but the fuzzy logic behind Daylight Savings doesn’t bother me in the least. In the same way Easter has transcended from a pagan celebration of fertility into a religious holiday, Daylight Savings has morphed into the greatest of all holidays; starting next week I can, in theory, ride outdoors after work. It ends on November 4th, the day after Iceman. This is no coincidence. Actually it probably is but still, there seems something spiritual about it. I find it's difficult to ride outside and be agnostic.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, when the clocks change today, that's when riding season really begins...

    ReplyDelete