Thursday, August 13, 2009

Guilt Free Riding

(Denny)

Cindy took Allie to meet up with Emilie in Travers City for the first of a few trips they will be on for the rest of August. I will only see them when they stop by to wash clothes, repack, and take off again. I miss the girls like crazy but I can ride guilt free for the rest of the month.

Normally I do a group ride on Thursdays. Last week was the annual Poto no-drop ride, just a social ride with a BBQ afterwards. I wasn’t feeling particularly social so I skipped it. The previous Thursday I got dropped. Embarrassing. My head just wasn’t into riding. I would notice where on the trail I was and wondered how I got there, like I had no memory of the previous 10 minutes. I have been in some weird funk since the middle of July but I am getting comfortable with reality again.

I planned on doing the group ride today but as I was leaving for work Denny texted me and asked if I wanted to do Pontiac Lake. (In my best Eric Cartman voice...hell yes). He is racing there Saturday and wanted me to pace him for a sub 50 minute loop. I grabbed my riding stuff, threw it into the truck, and went to work, 15 minutes late.

Denny and I have been friends since we were kids. We meet up about once a month to ride and get caught up on the stuff that has been going on. We usually start off riding hard but get laughing or deep into a conversation and ride so slow ladies on hybrids pass us. We talked and laughed today but at 170 BPM. It took us 52 minutes to do Pontiac. Clearly I am not in race shape. I will get focused and finish the Iceman in under 2 hrs (the faintest of goals); I just need to smarten up and fly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment